I know it has been a while since my last post…life happens! This summer has been quite the whirlwind with lots of travel, backyard renos and being around the most important – family!
Today, I am sharing a summer family favourite recipe with you. I made it this past weekend and my son loved it (honestly, never thought he would lol).
Do you ever go to the grocery store and buy those ready-made potato or macaroni salads that taste kind of off to you? They taste like it’s either missing something or has too much of something? Or just tastes too store bought? Well, you are not alone. I kept on trying different brands, but it just didn’t give me that homemade taste. So I thought to make my own.
Here I am sharing this perfect side dish to any BBQ. It’s also a great lunchbox meal for your little ones. It can also be a great leftover meal for yourself.
You can serve this as a side dish or even put it in a wrap/sandwich for your lunch!
In my recipe below, I have added cayenne but don’t worry, once it’s all mixed, it does not taste spicy at all! It just gives the dish more flavour.
This recipe calls for a dozen boiled eggs – it gives it a creamier texture and tastes unique. Personally, I love potatoes but can’t stand biting into one that is bland – so I made sure to add lots of flavor and make it more creamy with the eggs. Trust me on this one.
Folks, we still have less than a month left in the summer season – make this for your next BBQ!
• 7 medium russet potatoes, boiled, skin removed (salt your potatoes before boiling)
• 10-12 boiled eggs
• 4 stalks of green onions (separate the green and white parts)
• 1 cup finely chopped celery
• 1 ¼ cup mayo
• ½ tsp sugar
• 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
• 1 tsp cayenne (sometimes I add a wee bit more)
• 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
• 1 ½ tsp salt (or to taste)
1. Cut the potatoes into 1-inch pieces.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add potatoes, eggs and celery.
3. In a small mixing bowl, add the remaining ingredients (except the green parts of the onion). Mix well and taste. It should be extra salty and flavourful.
4. Add the sauce mixture to the potatoes bowl and mix with a spatula. This is where I get my husband to step in and help me mix. Mix very well.
5. Sprinkle the green onions and some paprika or more cayenne on top.
6. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving.