When I was a kid, this was my favourite khichdi ever! It was like a major upgrade from the traditional yellow dal khichdi (aka moong dal) – which I wasn’t a fan of much!
This recipe is soooo unbelievably easy to make. Once you temper the seeds, add the remaining ingredients, cover and let the Instant Pot do its job! Badda bing, badda boom.
When I’m making it for my wee boys, I like to add some veggies such as potatoes, cauliflower, baby spinach and carrots. Chop them up not too small, not too big and toss em in!
This is truly a comfort food for anyone, not just wee kids. This is one dish we crave after a vacation. Enjoy!!
• ½ tsp turmeric
• ½ tsp oil
• 1 tbsp ghee
• ½ tsp mustard seeds
• ½ tsp cumin seeds
• ½ inch cinnamon stick
• ¼ tsp finely chopped green chilies
• 1 tsp salt or to taste
• 1 ½ tsp finely chopped garlic
• 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
• ½ tsp cumin-coriander powder
• 4 cups water
• 1 cup rice
• ¾ cup green mung beans
• 1 tbsp butter
1. Rinse the mung beans and rice thoroughly.
2. Turn IP on Saute mode (adjust it to the MORE button).
3. Wait until it reads Hot, then add oil and ghee.
4. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, cinnamon stick and turmeric.
5. Wait until you hear the seeds cracking. (At this point you can add any veggies you want – like potatoes, cauliflower etc.)
6. Turn off Saute mode. Add rice and mung beans. Then add the ginger, cumin-coriander powder, green chilies, ginger and garlic.
7. Add water to cover the mixture completely.
8. Put the lid on and turn on High Pressure for 30 mins. Put the knob into sealing position.
9. Once done, add more water if you want it to be a bit soupy. Add butter.
10. Mix and taste for salt. Voila!